ISSUE
: “WHY I want to be a lawyer?!?!”
RULE: The purpose of this blog is to encourage discussion. I am totally aware that my opinions usually vacillate between the cynical and the idealistic, and this is my attempt, before I take the bar, to “come clean.” Thus I subject myself to you for debate. Don’t hold back.

HOLDINGS:

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Day I Washed Mom's Car with a Brillo Pad.... or.... Reflections on the Godfather and Conditional Love in Italian Familes











I just finished watching the part where Michael has Fredo killed. Which got me thinking....

It was the same sort of incident where I enlisted Jen to bang up the wooden kitchen table with spoons -I needed attention and was out of ways to get it.

I remember lining up cicadid exoskeletons along grandma's driveway. I think everyone had sent us outside to wash the car. C was there. They were discussing the will. It took a long time. I was distressed -sensed distress. My mom was not living at home. Everyone was coming out of the woodwork to stake their claim over grandma's turf. Soon we would all be divided, grandma would be in the nursing home, we'd be looking at that mud lot on my cross country route with stars in our eyes. What happened at grandma's funeral other than AJ throwing punches and daddy coming in with his long coat floating behind him?

So, with options run out but time still lagging on, I once again convinced Jen and we took a brillo pad to mommy's car. I remember blue -the blue station wagon? It was 1998 -I was 15. Am I mixing memories again?

No comments:

Post a Comment