ISSUE
: “WHY I want to be a lawyer?!?!”
RULE: The purpose of this blog is to encourage discussion. I am totally aware that my opinions usually vacillate between the cynical and the idealistic, and this is my attempt, before I take the bar, to “come clean.” Thus I subject myself to you for debate. Don’t hold back.

HOLDINGS:

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Poor People's Summit! Thats my goal. A UN of poor people, reps from each community in each country (starting with Mosintuwu)

**Another post from my online Leadership course. During a session on Strategic Thinking and Values Based Leadership we were asked to create an organization that would use both of these.**





By now, you have all heard my ranting about development. I actually revisited the idea for my organization today while I was meeting with workers from an NGO that focuses on indigenous people’s rights. After I asked them all my questions and about their respective jobs, they wanted to know more about what I was studying and why I was in Indonesia. I told them I was focusing on conflict resolution and international law, and someone asked me if I was going to focus my career on the conflict in Poso. I answered that I didn’t know –that was part of why I was here this summer –to see if there was a need for my skills. I asked them openly what did they think: was there a place for an American lawyer in their community? They answered very frankly: no. I kind of expected that was the answer. Each day, I find out more that I am here to learn for my own benefit but that, not being fluent in Indonesian, not really understanding their multiplicity of cultures, or the complexity of their legal system –there is very little I can offer. And even if I spent the years it would require to learn all of that –I don’t think I would be adding much value for the work it would cost. Indonesians are well on their way to solving their own social problems.

I don’t think I am adding nothing while I am here. But what I have continued to realize in my experience is the biggest value that I bring is just that –my experience. When it comes down to it, being an American doesn’t mean I know anything more about the world or how to live life than others. But it does mean that I may have had access to a lot of experiences, or at least different ones. The biggest “teaching moment” I have perhaps had so far here came quite unexpectedly. As you may know, Indonesia has one of the world’s largest deforestation problems. Natural resource rights are a HUGE issue here –not only because the government is tromping all over the rights of indigenous peoples, but because Indonesia is so rich in natural resources, if it manages them right it can really prosper but if it manages them wrong it will have huge national consequences as well as consequences for the global climate. As I may have mentioned, one of the projects of Institute Mosintuwu (besides the women’s school) is Project Malinuwu –an environmental education program. I accompanied them to speak at a church and at a couple of schools, and was impromptu asked to speak about my experience with climate change. I realized on the spot that I had quite a stark example: the village I served in in Senegal had experienced almost complete deforestation in the lifetime of my host father (he was 89 when I was there). Since I told that story at the school, Lian and Lita have asked me to repeat it over and over. Today, as I explained what I had learned about climate change while I was in Senegal, I could see the wheels turning in the minds of everyone I was speaking to. The person in charge of the REDD Monitoring Coalition (Indonesia is the first country to implement a REDD –carbon reduction/exchange –program) expressed the most interest and said he wanted to research why climate change had occurred in Senegal.

It has long been an idea of mine that this is exactly the type of exchange that needs to happen in the “developing world” not only from Americans or Westerners to people in developing countries –but horizontally as well. I first thought of this idea when I traveled to Mali during my service in Senegal. I had been working for over a year trying to encourage the women in my village to start a community garden, and trying to start a garden at the elementary school. I later learned that the real problem was village politics –but for that whole time I dealt with varying reasons why the garden wasn’t taking off –the biggest being there wasn’t enough water. But when I traveled to Mali –a mostly natural desert –I was blown away by the oases of green gardens shimmering everywhere against the red sand. Mali had a lot less “water development” (i.e. proper wells, and even water spigots) than Senegal did. I was amazed to find that more than once a day, women would travel several miles back and fourth with gourds of water on their heads (Senegalese had already converted to plastic basins). Mali is a lot less developed than Senegal. It is further inland and so perhaps less developed because it doesn’t benefit from Senegal’s access to a large coastline. But I think this brings some benefits to Malian people as well. I felt that Malians were still proud to be Malian and to be African. Senegalese however, suffer from a national discouragement about their status in the world. In my experience, Senegalese were constantly putting themselves down –either personally, culturally, naturally, or as Africans. They have truly accepted what the world thinks of their global ranking. “Development” makes them feel like just that –people that need to develop. Western culture is swallowing them whole –through TV, interaction with tourists who come to enjoy their coasts, and the influx of aid workers and other expats come to “help” them. As such, people are entirely discouraged from trying anything on their own to do small things to improve their condition –like gardening. Why would they want to spend their energy on a garden –even if it would bring them improved nutrition and health –and perhaps a small income –when people in developed countries were dealing in fancy cars and beautiful lavish houses? Fresh vegetables seemed like a laughable pittance.

Malian’s have not yet been affected to the same degree as Senegalese. They are still willing to spend all day walking back and forth with gourds of water so they can have nutritious food to eat. I left Mali wanting to do everything in my power to raise money to bring a few Senegalese from my village to Mali to see what was possible for them to achieve in their own environment –to give them an attainable aspiration and infuse them with hope and pride in being Africans.

It didn’t happen while I was in Senegal but I still entertain the dream –and it is fed by experiences like the one I had today. There is so much power in the “developing” world –and I feel it would be better unleashed if people from those countries could interact with each other and learn from each others experiences than if their only exposure to the rest of the world is with Western countries. So the organization I would set up, with a lot of grant writing, of course, would be a sort of study-abroad program for people in developing countries to visit other developing countries. Senegalese villagers could visit Malian community gardens. Indonesians could go to Senegal to witness what deforestation and climate change could do to a country. Conflict survivors and peace activists from here could go to other countries recovering from conflict and exchange ideas. Women fighting for equality could visit other women’s groups around the world and do the same. Same goes for small scale local economic projects. Last week, when I was talking to the women at the women’s school about women’s rights, one of the topics was equal pay. I told them we still don’t have equal pay in America and told them about my experience at my last job (I was seriously underpaid) –where all of my guy friends encouraged me to ask for a raise but most of my girl friends just offered empathy at my situation. I said I think part of the problem is guys are more aggressive about their value and in asking for a raise but girls are uncomfortable with that. They were very interested. Next week I hope to share with them an article I just read in the Economist about how one of the problems with American politics right now is women’s reluctance to get involved and run for positions. It referenced how Hilary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Nancy Pelosi were brutalized by the media, oftentimes for their looks, and how this perhaps was very damaging in discouraging women from taking the risk of getting involved in politics if that was how they were going to be judged.

I think that the sharing of like experiences and ideas helps instigate creative involvement better than telling people what to do does. I was lecturing them about women’s rights but the true “teaching moment” was when I just talked honestly about my own experience and the problems women were facing in America. This really got their wheels turning. Later, when we were practicing making sentences with our new vocabulary, half of their sentences were about women getting equal pay. Something about relating to them in a common struggle had reached them more than lecturing them from on high about some abstract values. I could only hope that they might attempt to negotiate a better salary for themselves in an attempt to solve the problem I faced in their own lives. “Development” creates a hierarchy in itself that propagates low self-esteem and stifles creativity and hope. So my future organization would provide the resources for people in developing countries to travel to other developing countries facing a similar situation, get to know people there. The agenda would stop there. It would then be up to the people to come up with their own ideas to bring back to their communities. Perhaps my organization would also help them to find funding for implementing their ideas. But perhaps I would keep our mission “clear and concise” and stop there.

The vision of this organization is a peaceful world where people have options other than violence to get their voices heard and their problems addressed. Even if a world without war and violence is impossible, we can do a much better job than we are doing. In my early life, I thought the inclination towards violence was directly related to poverty. But as I continue to learn, I think it is more precisely related to lack of options. Rule of law plays a major part as well: if the justice system and law enforcement are not serving people’s needs –they need to resort to violence and get their own justice. If people lack educational or economic opportunities, or ways to get their energy out, and especially if they want to act out against the people they think are keeping them from these opportunities: violence. Of course there will always be despotic leaders who just have power, wealth, or other selfish motivations in mind and will continue to propagate violence even if they have all the opportunities in the world. But as we know, leaders need followers. I believe that the average person would not sign up to follow these types of leaders if they had other options in their lives. So the mission of this organization would be to enable people around the world to collaborate to create these types of opportunities by sharing their experiences and ideas and inspiring each other.

*
Professor V's response:
Your vision reminds me of William Loris from our readings who helped found the International Development Law Organization.  While working with Africans, he realized they should be making decisions themselves; African lawyers needed to be involved; or lawyers in whatever country they were working.  This is so important to finding common ground and creating a shared vision.

*
My response:
Yes that was definitely implicated in my idea. I was so happy to read about Loris -I love when non-traditional legal work gets a shout out in our materials! I am definitely going to come back to vision based leadership. I am beginning to think I actually do have a lot of skills and ideas about leadership -I have just never thought about them in that way before. I am entirely convinced in this methodology of empowering people to create on their own -it is the only sustainable way. Fostering the creative spirit is what drives progress, development. Look at what all the articles are about in America these days: how to foster the creative spirit and get America's economy running at full speed again -coming up with something new to hold our place on the cutting edge of innovation. But that spirit is really elusive, and hard to encourage broadly -i.e. -in "followers." Followers so easily fall into line behind their leader -but I think one of the main tenants behind values based leadership is being kind of a silent/invisible leader and instilling your followers with the ability to fill out their own potential. Then instead of having 1 creator and 20 people implementing, you have 21 creators implementing. This is what needs to happen in Africa in my opinion. Its always behind because Africans too easily line up behind Westerners because they think -and in a sense we have convinced them -that we know more. But if we step out of the spotlight, and help them get themselves into it, it would activate the creative spirit of a whole continent, and great things would happen. I believe, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment