ISSUE
: “WHY I want to be a lawyer?!?!”
RULE: The purpose of this blog is to encourage discussion. I am totally aware that my opinions usually vacillate between the cynical and the idealistic, and this is my attempt, before I take the bar, to “come clean.” Thus I subject myself to you for debate. Don’t hold back.

HOLDINGS:

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Some Real Reckoning -Where I lost my scholarship and confronted Domestic Violence in Poso


**Another blog post from my online Leadership course. **

Ok everyone –I need your help. Just in case you are speed reading, skip down to the bottom, after I have a heart to heart with perhaps myself. (I’ll put a ***where you should start reading.) So, the past few days have been (and continue to be) a struggle that I have been expecting for a while. This might be oversharing with you guys, but for some reason, I feel inspired to share –if not only because its slightly lonely being the only law student around here. Ok, I had a full-tuition scholarship that is dependent on keeping a 3.0 –which I did not. Just the other day, I got my last grade back. I was on “probation” this semester and so have not only had about 0 self-esteem (as with most of us –in my former life I prided myself on/identified myself with my academic skills), but have also been really, almost sickeningly scared, and working really really hard and having no life. So tons of thoughts are going through my head: am I just not that smart? Maybe I’m not meant to be here –maybe my brain is not meant to “think like a lawyer.” I keep trying to go over how I spent my time this semester and find ways to chide myself for wasting it. I shouldn’t have gotten a dog. I should spend less time on the phone with my mom, who underwent 3 surgeries this semester. None of these thoughts are really productive, good for me, or really going to do anything. But its really hard to stop thinking them when I am in a place that doesn’t have all the distractions that we do in America. Beer. TV. Friends. Freedom to go outdoors and go for a long walk, hike, run, bike ride. The ability to stay in bed for the whole day without people wondering if I am ok. Ice cream. Anyway, the part that I think is worth thinking about is that I was really very hesitant to come to law school. My site mate here is a social worker (sorry if I’ve told you guys this a million times) and she said yesterday what is really true –I have a social worker’s mind and heart. I just happen to be in law school. When I was contemplating applying to law school, I sought out the advice of those I love and respect. I talked to family and friends, mentors, coworkers, and even took a trip back to Gettysburg, my alma mater, to speak to my philosophy professors who I am still close with. Almost everyone not only seriously questioned why I wanted to go to law school, advised me against it in this economic climate, or downright persuaded me to change my mind. Why didn’t I get a MA in International Affairs? Why didn’t I find a job that could sustain me financially for the moment and apply to ideal jobs with the same vigor I would have to apply in law school? And of course, EVERYONE had their piece to say about the tremendous financial burden I would be taking on which really didn’t line up with the type of work I wanted to do (like what I am doing this summer). I wasn’t sure I was going to go up until the last minute, but something in me persisted. I really believe in the power of law to change people’s lives. After a number of years doing development work and becoming really disenchanted with the entire system (in my mind, its kind of neocolonialism), I came to realize that what I really wanted to do was be an advocate for people. Be invited into their communities and instead of having a prescription for what would make their lives better –to ask them what they wanted to do and then figure out how I could use my access to provide resources for them. Law school seemed, in part, like an obligation. I was born in a place and with a mind and have had a life that has led me right up to this opportunity –all I had to do was take the leap. If I had the chance to receive such a high level of education it is kind of my duty, as a thank you to the world, and as a way to make more people have the opportunities that I have –to take advantage of it. Anyway, I found out very close to acceptance time that I got the scholarship to DU. I was elated. Suddenly all the questions I had been asking myself for years seemed solved –if I could go to school with tuition paid I could still get to do what I wanted when I graduated. So here I am. But now that I lost the scholarship, I find myself back where I was a year ago. All of those questions are coming back. Why do I want to be here? Is this the right place for me? Am I willing to put my dreams at risk by taking on this financial burden? So, it has been a little bit of a depressing and traumatic couple of days. 

***But here is finally what I need your help with. Yesterday morning, we had a meeting with Lian (the Director at the Women’s school), Hanna, the social worker, Sondang, an Indonesian mental health worker from Jakarta who is volunteering here over the summer, and Ibu Lina, one of the women that graduated from the women’s school and is now a facilitator. As I mentioned before, the women’s school is diversifying its programs to meet more of the community’s needs –in part because of the grant I won for them (thank god that happened –I keep reminding myself I am good at SOMETHING). The women’s school is currently serving as a kind of ad hoc safe house for domestically abused women and children–which is a huge problem here, as you might imagine. They want to make this program more formal, and a huge part of that will be community education. We sat down yesterday to plan out how Hanna, Sondang, and I can use our time here to further the program. 

The first question that we discussed was “Men abuse their wives and children because they have the power. How can we get them to give up that power?” While the others discussed this from the mental health perspective, I was brainstorming on my own. So that is my first question to you. Men kind of always have the power –they are usually physically stronger than women (and maybe for other reasons?). And don’t get me wrong –I know that there are vast DV problems in the states too. But I am trying to articulate and understand the difference –because I know within my peers growing up DV wasn’t really an option. I thought of three things: 

1. The law. Obviously. Rule of law is strong in our country and so perhaps men don’t think about it because they know there are serious repercussions. But here, though Indonesia has seemingly good laws on the books (anyone with experience in DV law? I am looking for some good comparisons from the States –like a state with exemplary DV laws and one with bad ones. I think Professor M is trying to work on improving Colorado’s so maybe that is a good place to start.), there is ABSOLUTELY NO enforcement. Obviously, this will be where I will be working. Come back to that in a bit. 

2. Social pressure. The others insisted that this is the most powerful element in Indonesian culture. People adjust their behavior based on how they are viewed/treated by others in their community. A HUGE part of this is the church/mosque. A lot of the training the women’s school hopes to do is going to be through churches and mosques. These places already serve as “safe houses” for women and children suffering from DV, but, disturbingly, the religious leaders’ response is to pray with them. So educating perpetrators is a long way down the line –first they will train the women facilitators from the school and others they identify as “allies,” then they will educate the religious leaders and communities, and finally come up with a strategy for how to identify and reach the perpetrators. I suggested that at some point, I would really like it if they could convince the religious leaders to, once they find out that a woman or child is being domestically abused, to not allow their husband to come to services. Kind of like in Catholicism where if you “sin” you are not supposed to go up and take mass –kind of a public shaming. I feel like this would do a lot to make people think twice about DV. Maybe this is naïve. 

3. Quality of life. Another aspect of living abroad, at least in the cultures I have experienced, is, as I am sure many of you are familiar with, the vastly different and strictly enforced division of labor between men and women. Senegal was the worst. Men’s main function was farming –which was ridiculously hard work (but the women actually farmed too) but only lasted part of the year. The other part the men would mostly sit in the public areas drinking tea and playing cards while the women cooked, took care of the kids, did laundry, cleaned, etc. All of us Peace Corps volunteers were on a constant campaign to convince the men that taking a more fair share of the work, among its many benefits, would also allow them to be closer to and spend more time with their wives. We would explain how its fun and normal for couples in the U.S. to cook together –that it can be a whole event that people actually plan for and enjoy. This mostly got laughs. But my point is –I think maybe men in the U.S. give up their power because it makes their life more enjoyable. I think men actually enjoy being more a part of their family life –taking care of their kids, working side by side with their wives around the house. What do you guys think? 

So basically, I am asking you guys first to help me brainstorm about what seems like an insurmountable task that we in the U.S. have at least, in some segments of society, and in part, managed to surmount. Here it seems impossible. How to make men give up their stronghold? (And of course, this pervades to all aspects of society and is the source of much of Indonesia’s social, political, etc. ills). But I guess the more important question for us is this one: how to encourage rule of law? The group asked me to take on a task that seems impossible: they want to gather the local police and have me give them a training on Indonesia’s DV laws, people’s rights, and why the police should enforce them. For example, Indonesia’s DV law says that anyone has the right to report DV and the police have to respond –with either a report, a preliminary protective order (if requested), or a protective order. There are criminal sanctions listed for every type of DV. Yet no one ever reports, and if they do, the police do nothing. This gets back to my intro. Yesterday, while we were talking, the women explained how one time at a demonstration the women were doing against DV, the police were taunting them and shouting at them that if they orgasmed, it wasn’t rape. This is also the experience of individual women if they report DV to the police –they are belittled and made fun of. Hanna said this happens in the states as well –but it seems to me that that has to be isolated cases. Does anyone have any experience in this area? They all kind of laughed at me that I was so appalled. But I explained myself –it is not naiveté (ok, maybe it is a bit), but I am 29 years old and I have seen a lot of messed up stuff in the world. However, for some reason, my heart remains young and I never cease to be deeply effected and shocked by how bad people can be to each other. And I felt in that moment why I am in law school. And why I need to stay, even if I have to pay. I will figure something out. But ever since I was a little kid, injustice effects me, it hits me right in the heart, and shocks me every time. As a kid, when I felt something was unjust I would scream and throw a fit and go upstairs and throw things around my room. I was pretty terrified by my own rage. But now I have figured out another way to deal with injustice –to use my life to work hard and make at least a tiny impact in tipping the scales of justice just a little more towards the good. I really think I am joining a revolution –lol –and you guys should get on board. (I am sure there are lots of other people who think this as well and have already started –like Lawyers without Borders). Law is the way. It is our social compact with each other to treat each other with decency and fairness. Nowhere is this more obvious than in a country with no rule of law where people are getting hurt all the time –especially in a community like this where lack of rule of law means people resort to violence to avenge their injustices. It should be just as obvious why I want to go to law school to save the world as it would be if I got a degree in development. Really, it should be more so. The women’s story is also why educating the police on why they should enforce DV laws seems like such an impossible task. As I see it, the biggest problem is perhaps that the police are rotated in from outside the community. I was thinking of starting by asking them don’t they want to protect their mothers, sisters, wives, and daughters against this kind of act? I want to ask them to imagine if it was someone they loved that were sitting in front of them –how could they do something like that? But the reality is probably that these people are government cronies shipped in from the capital or somewhere else where they have a vastly different lifestyle. Also, a problem I have noticed in poor countries is that once many people get into power, the get nauseatingly arrogant, lazy, condescending, and comfortable in their airconditioning, nice consistent paycheck, and powerful connections. Power corrupts, right? But to deal with this depressing reality –I have kind of come to think that this is a result of the culture of poverty. (The culture of poverty is actually a thing that I am really interested in studying in depth at some point.) They grew up poor, witnessing things many of us can’t even imagine, and so once they get to a safe place, a place where they can provide for their family, and where people respect them (counteracting a life of self-depreciation for being poor and second-class in the world), they go a specific kind of crazy. So…that’s the big question. Should I accept this challenge? If so, what should I do? Do you guys have any thoughts/experience? Any resources I could start consulting? Well, at least I am no longer sick and feeling underworked. Its going to be a crazy rest of the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment